Cake pops always look like SO MUCH FUN. That's because they are. They are delicious. What's not to like about boxed cake mix and sugary frosting mixed together, placed on a stick and dipped in a rich chocolate coating? Exactly, there's everything to like! Well, almost everything...the macros on the typical cake pop want to make us cry. We decided to take our shot at a healthy version of cake pops called Unicorn Cookie Protein Cake Pops featuring MuscleSport Unicorn Cookie Shake Lean Whey, our 2019 Fitness Informant Protein of the Year.
Unicorn Cookie Shake Lean Whey is fun just like a cake pop. It is colorful, has sprinkles and tastes like a sugar cookie. This made it the perfect protein powder for these amazing treats. It's crazy, but there's less than 65 calories per cake pop (and only 2g fat!) Are you ready to learn how to make them?
We had a lot of fun making these. The photos, as beautiful as they are, do not do these justice. You need to make them at-home to see for yourself. The ingredients are basic, for the most part, with the only "special" ingredients coming in the form of sweeteners.
For the cake batter, we used Truvia, a stevia based sweetener, for this recipe. Truvia is sweet to taste and is versatile in baking. You cannot tell it is not "real" granulated sugar. Truvia is zero calories, which makes this a solid choice to help with healthy macros.
For the frosting, we used Swerve's version of their confectioners sugar. This also has zero calories, the biggest difference is that it has a "powdered" sugar feel to it, making it a great choice for any frosting.
The use of Greek Yogurt in the cake batter and the frosting is great. It is essentially flavorless so the protein powder in the cake batter and the Swerve in the frosting take over the flavor profile.
If you prefer a thicker outer coating, you can use more white chocolate chips and more coconut oil. This will increase your macro count, but the choice is yours. Other optional ingredients are the use of sprinkles. They add macros, but also add to the fun.
Here's your chance to bake a healthy dessert for you and those you love, while using the 2019 Fitness Informant Protein of the Year (Unicorn Cookie Shake Lean Whey is delicious even when it is NOT in a cake!)
Post your images to social media and tag us if you make it!
Use coupon code INFORMANT40 to save 40%
MACROS (per cake pop)
Makes 9 cake pops
Unicorn Cookie Protein Cake Pops
- 30 grams MuscleSport Unicorn Cookie Shake Lean Whey Protein
- 6 tbsp Truvia zero calorie sugar alternative
- 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch tapioca or potato starch works too
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ cup Pasteurized Egg Whites
- 3 tbsp Fat-Free Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Applesauce unsweetened
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Butter Extract
- 2 tbsp Fat-Free Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Swerve Confectioners Sugar powder sugar alternative
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Butter Extract
- OPTIONAL: Sprinkles
- 2 tbsp White Chocolate Baking Chips melted
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil melted
- Red Food Coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium mixing bowl, combine Cake Batter ingredients including MuscleSport's Unicorn Cookie Shake Lean Whey Protein [code INFORMANT40 saves 40%].
- Spray 6" round cake pan or muffin tin with non-stick spray. Pour cake batter into pan or into six muffin compartments. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While cake is baking, in a small bowl combine ingredients for frosting until mixture is smooth. You can add sprinkles, but this is optional.
- When cake is done baking and cooled, in a medium bowl break up into small pieces (use a fork if needed). Add frosting to cake mixture and mix until blended.
- Form cake and frosting mixture into small 2" balls, place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with non-stick spray. Insert cake pop sticks into each cake pop. Freeze for 30-minutes.
- While cake pops freeze, melt white chocolate baking chips and coconut oil together. When melted, add a couple drops of red food coloring to turn the coating red or pink. This is your coating. You can add more of this mixture if you want your coating thicker.
- When cake pops are cooled, dip each cake pop into coating. Add sprinkles or other toppings. Enjoy.